Let’s talk about a secret that your favorite creators and brands swear by – content repurposing.
You see, creating fresh content every single day is neither practical nor necessary, even for those with deep pockets and a sizable team.
Instead, the real magic lies in repurposing content, taking one piece and giving it new life in various forms across different platforms.
Why Should You Care About Content Repurposing?
Before we dive into how to do it, let’s address the “why.” There are several compelling reasons why content repurposing is a game-changer:
- Maximize Your Investment – Content creation consumes precious resources – time, money, and effort. With content repurposing, you can extract maximum value from every piece of content. Imagine creating a blog post and then turning it into YouTube Shorts, IG Reels, and TikTok Scripts. It’s like getting more bang for your buck.
- Breathe Life into Underperformers – We’ve all been there – investing in a project that falls short of expectations. Content repurposing offers a second chance. You can tweak and repost content without breaking the bank on something entirely new. Plus, experimenting with different formats on various platforms often yields surprising results.
- Expand Your Reach – Repurposing content exposes your work to new audiences. People who missed your content when it first came out, whether that was three months or a year ago, get a chance to discover and engage with it. This boosts your online presence and activity.
Now, let’s clarify a few things…
- What Content Repurposing Is Not – Content repurposing isn’t just about shifting content from one platform to another
- What Content Repurposing Actually Is – Content repurposing is about adapting it to suit the medium and audience preferences
So, now then the question becomes: how does content repurposing differ from cross-marketing or republishing?
Repurposing vs. Cross-Marketing vs. Republishing
Repurposing involves reshaping existing content while considering the platform and audience. It’s about understanding what works best on each platform and tailoring your content accordingly. For instance, you can transform a YouTube video into bite-sized clips for YouTube Shorts.
On the other hand, cross-marketing is simply posting the same content across different platforms. It’s about sharing content as-is on different channels.
Republishing, well, that’s just reposting without any changes. The key distinction is that repurposing requires some degree of “transformation.”
How to Repurpose Content: A Guide with Examples
Now, let’s get practical. There are countless ways to repurpose content, depending on its form and media.
Here are some common examples:
- Converting Blog Posts – Turn your blog posts into YouTube and Podcast scripts. Take your written content and bring it to life in audio or video form.
- Transforming Blog Posts into Slideshows – Consider creating slideshows based on your blog posts. This can be a powerful way to visualize your content and engage your audience.
- Crafting Infographics – For data-heavy articles, blogs, or ebooks, craft infographics. They present complex information in a visually appealing and easily digestible format.
- Sharing Quotes on Social Media – Extract quotes from your blog posts – whether they’re your own words or from thought leaders mentioned in your content. Share them as tweets, LinkedIn posts, or eye-catching Instagram images.
A Real-Life Example
Let’s look at AdEspresso by Hootsuite. They took one of their top-performing blog posts and turned it into a Slideshare presentation.
The Slideshare presentation brought in a whopping 3900 visits in just the first ten days.
Infographics: Making Data Digestible
Ever come across a long-form article packed with data and statistics that made your head spin?
If so, you’re not alone!
Research shows that people are 65% more likely to remember information when it’s presented in a visual format. That’s where infographics come in as our trusty sidekick.
So, here’s the deal: if you have articles, blogs, or ebooks loaded with valuable data, consider transforming that data into eye-catching infographics. These graphical wonders simplify complex information, making it a breeze for your readers to understand and, more importantly, remember.
Let’s say you’ve penned a data-rich blog post. You can take the juiciest bits of information, create a visually appealing infographic, and seamlessly embed it within your blog. This not only breaks the monotony of text but also adds an interactive element that your readers will appreciate.
But wait, there’s more!
You can take these shiny infographics and share them on your social media platforms. When your audience sees bite-sized, visually appealing snippets of information, their curiosity is piqued.
And where do they go to satisfy that curiosity?
Back to your blog, of course!
Captivating Quotes: The Magic of Inspiration
Have you ever stumbled upon a thought-provoking quote that stayed with you for days? Quotes have the power to inspire, resonate, and ignite conversations.
Now, think about your blog posts – they’re treasure troves of insightful quotes, whether they’re your own brilliant musings or gems from thought leaders you’ve cited.
Here’s a neat trick: extract those nuggets of wisdom and share them on your social media channels. It’s as easy as crafting a simple tweet or LinkedIn post. Provide a bit of context, maybe a snippet from your blog that leads to the full story, and watch as your audience engages with your content.
But don’t stop there!
Visual content reigns supreme on platforms like Instagram. Turn your quotes into eye-catching images and share them with your Insta audience. Hubspot Academy nailed it by taking a quote from their blog post and using it to entice viewers to explore the full article.
The Grand Finale: Content That Keeps on Giving
In the fast-paced world of online content, posts come and go like fleeting moments. It’s easy for your audience to forget what they’ve seen. However, when it comes to blog posts, you hold the power to breathe new life into them.
Update your older blog posts with fresh stats and facts, and then repost them. It’s a fantastic way to keep your content relevant and top-of-mind for both new and returning readers.
Remember, repurposing and reposting content isn’t a shortcut or a lazy hack… it’s a strategic move. It’s your ticket to expanding your audience, giving evergreen content the spotlight it deserves, saving precious time, and ultimately enhancing your content efficiency.
So, if you’ve been on the fence about content repurposing, take this as your sign to dive right in. Infographics and quotes are just the beginning of your content transformation journey. Embrace these strategies, and watch your content strategy soar to new heights.
Happy repurposing, and may your content shine brighter than ever!